It’s On Sale: Should You Buy It?
Let’s take a moment to talk about want v. need. I need food and water (and coffee) to survive. I want a 1965 Aston Martin DB5 Vantage convertible. If I was going to choose which to spend my money on, the answer is fairly obvious. However, when the big sale season rolls around, it can sometimes become a little difficult to distinguish between want and need. Sales are a great time to save a buck (or a couple hundred of them), but it’s important to not be hypnotized or blinded by large percentages off or slashes though thousand-dollar price tags.
So in the spirit of staying grounded, level-headed, and sane during this sale season, here are five questions to ask yourself before pulling the trigger:
1. How many different ways can you wear this item? Or, how many different ways can you pair it with existing items in your wardrobe? In either case, if the answer is less than three, don’t buy it. (This applies to statement items as well.)
2. Does it fit your style or do you want it to fit your style? It’s easy to be lured into trends, especially during sale season. Be sure whatever you’re considering purchasing is authentically you and not what magazines or online publications are telling you to buy.
3. Would you buy it if it wasn’t on sale? It’s okay to splurge on something every once in a while, but if you wouldn’t put said item into that category, don’t buy it just because it’s a little (or, in some cases, a lot) less expensive.
4. Do you already have something pretty much almost exactly like it in your closet? That’s why this is a non-starter for me.
5. Are you more concerned with getting a deal or filling a need (or hole) in your wardrobe?
Now that you’ve done your due diligence, here are a few sales worth checking out:
– MR PORTER: Up to 70% off
– Brooks Brothers: Up to 50% off, including Black Fleece
– J.Crew: 30% off select styles, plus up to 50% off sale items. Use code HISUMMER
– Nordstrom: Up to 40% off
– Reiss: Up to 50% off
– Barneys and Saks: Up to 60% off select styles
– Matches Fashion: Up to 70% off, free shipping with code USAFREE
– East Dane and SSENSE: Up to 70% off
Thanks for reading.
He Spoke Style